I made myself a cup of creamy hot chocolate from scratch. To add a bit of protein and as a thickening agent, I whipped in egg whites (I love egg-based drinks), so it’s like I’m drinking hot, delicious, creamy, and fluffy chocolate pudding.
To make one perfect mug of this…
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites, preferably room temperature
- Combine the chocolate and milk in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring with a whisk
- Remove from heat and whisk in egg whites
- Put back on medium heat and stir with a whisk for about 30 seconds. (Any longer and hotter and your egg whites will curdle, so be careful here!)
- Pour in mug and enjoy!
Notes: Feel free to add cinnamon and other tasty spices. Heck, go crazy and try it with whole eggs or just the egg yolk, too. It’d be almost like a chocolate egg nog.
Health notes: I used all organic ingredients, and when it comes to chocolate, make sure that the first ingredient is actually chocolate and not sugar (hello, Dagoba!). For milk, go for whole or 2% as the low- and non-fat milks just add other junk in place of the fat, and they aren’t really too different calorie-wise. For eggs, feel free to use whole eggs or even just the egg yolk, just bear in mind that the average egg yolk has about 60 calories versus an egg white’s 17 (egg yolks have plenty of health benefits, though, just consume in moderation!).